Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Rush on organics

I've emerged from producing our first issue of 2008. It's going to be a good one. Watch for it in your mail box on Jan. 2. We'll be doing 18 issues for our readers this year. In my editorial this issue, I give readers 18 reasons why they should read Issue 1. If you know the 18 reasons, you may be able to win $180. Watch for more details to be forthcoming.

Last week one of our readers told me about a conversation she heard while listening to Rush Limbaugh's radio program. Limbaugh's topic of the hour was food sold under the USDA-certified organic label.

Here's a link to the radio program transcript:
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_121207/content/01125109.guest.html

Here's what Rush had to say about organic milk:

Rush Limbaugh: "I've never done a side-by-side taste test of organic broccoli versus nonorganic broccoli. I've done side-by-side taste tests of organic milk, and I cannot taste the difference. I can not."

Limbaugh later says that in his opinion it's OK for consumers to buy products labeled as USDA-certified organic as long as they know that there's no safety or nutritional difference between organic and non-organic foods.

It's a middle-ground philosophy that all dairy producers could benefit from talking about.

—dairyeditor

No comments: