Thursday, November 29, 2007

Don't let them take that away

In June 2006, I wrote an editorial in Progressive Dairyman touting what I thought could never be taken away from the dairy industry – its iconic image of black and white Holsteins and wholesome dairy products. The title of the editorial was "No, they can't take that away." However, unless the dairy industry, and most importantly dairy families, don't stand up to defend dairy products and more importantly their livelihoods as caretakers for the cows that produce the milk to make those products, I might just be proved wrong. Has dairy's Doomsday arrived? No. But to think that it never will is ignorant. There are plenty of other sites on this World Wide Web that would try to convince others milk is not safe to drink, that dairy producers don't care about their cows and that dairy production harms the environment. These arguments are false.

One of this blog's purposes is to dispel such rumors. All of us have something we can do to help. If you're interested in joining in, leave a post saying, "We’re proud to dairy."

This week I'm talking to a group of young dairy producers and their spouses about how to make others just as proud of dairy as we are. I'm sure, like you, they'll have lots to share.

-dairyeditor

2 comments:

Ray said...

Good luck at your conference!

Brian said...

"We are proud to dairy". I am the fourth generation on my farm and I hope to continue to pass it on. I drink milk right out of our 5000 gallon bulk tank on the farm and I rarely get sick. There are no antibiotics in the milk because if antibiotics are detected in the milk the tank gets dumped down the drain. Milk is the natural multi-vitamin.